Sunday, July 17, 2011

Math Work Stations - Chapter 6

What a summer it's been!  I can't believe I'm so far behind on my Math Work Station posts!  Or my curriculum things that I need and want to do before we officially report back.  I officially report back on July 26th and the students start on August 1st.  I started going in a couple hours at a time on Friday, then Monday and Thursday.   I've made significant progress in setting up furniture and unpacking boxes, but that's for another post!


When we work on Place Value, I encourage the students to talk about how many groups of tens and ones are in a number, how they can be grouped, or how to break it down to make it easier to count large numbers.  In kindergarten, I added a straw for each day of school and we would count it by ones and then count it by groups of tens and count on.  After the 100th day, we started from 100 and counted on.  The kids loved the routine and it really helped to get them to understand larger numbers and decomposing numbers.  They were often the ones who reminded myself of the student teacher that we needed to do the routine on days that were rushed.  I am going to continue to use this routine when I teach second grade this year, but also include coins, tally marks, and expanded notation so that the students show their understanding of place value in multiple ways.  I am thinking that my daily calendar routine will include something like this chart.  This seems to be a major part of the Common Core State Standards that we are transitioning to this year.  It was the major focus at the workshop I attended on Wednesday.

One of the games that my students LOVED last year during Math Workshop was an activity where they pulled a number card and represented the number with base ten blocks or connecting cubes.  Once they had "built" the number, they told their partner what number they had, how many tens and ones were in the number, and counted out what they had.  I typed out the numbers and printed them multiple pages to a page and cut them, but it was also really easy to write them on index cards as we went to add more to the set.  I had a few cards that were self-correcting and I drew the base ten blocks on the back.  Here's an example of the cards that I am making for the second grade version.  For kindergarten, I had 0-30 and duplicates of the teen numbers.

I wish I had more pictures of my students doing the activities.  When I was told that I'd be moving to second grade, I was so sad that I didn't even think about how I could document everything I was doing.  I am going to be better at doing that for my professional development and teaching portfolio than I have been in the past.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    My name is Missy Kennedy and I teach third grade. I am part of the postcard exchange and wanted to let you know about my class.

    Our school is Parkview Baptist School and is located in Baton Rouge, the capitol of Louisiana. We are celebrating our 30th birthday this year and are the largest private school (non-parochial) in the state.

    We are excited about getting to know more about your class. I have a postcard exchange page on my blog and hope you visit. We have some questions for you to answer listed on that page. I will post as I receive postcards.

    Looking forward to meeting you and your class,

    Mrs. Kennedy
    The Kennedy Korral Blog

    ReplyDelete